Cholera Cemetery – Chicago 1835

  (Also known as: Lake and Wabash Burial site)

 

NW corner Lake Street and Wabash Ave

Chicago, Cook County, Illinois 60601

South Township     Section:  10 Township 39  Range: 14

This burial site,  now the northwest corner of Lake and Wabash,  was used in 1832 to quickly bury soldiers from Fort Dearborn who died of Cholera. The Chicago Tribune of August 8, 1897 described the location as the west side of Wabash (50 east), between Lake (200 north) and South Water Street. Early reports described the site as being “not far from where the American Temperance House was later erected.” A later report stated that the Leander J McCormick Building was erected on this site in 1872. Despite being so close to the Fort Cemetery, it appears that this was a separate location.   Continue reading “Cholera Cemetery – Chicago 1835”

Funeral Streetcars

Funeral streetcars were found in major cities including Chicago, San Francisco, Detroit, Los Angeles, and others.  The Metropolitan Chicago transit system built two streetcars in 1910 built specifically for funeral service, each having drapes on the windows and a special compartment for the casket. Continue reading “Funeral Streetcars”

Funeral trains serving the Cemeteries

The funeral procession made a statement about status. As years went by, the method of transportation to the cemetery changed, but it usually reflected the status of the deceased. One method before the motorized hearse became common by both the rich and ordinary families, the funeral  operating on rails.

Continue reading “Funeral trains serving the Cemeteries”

Catholic Cemetery – Chicago 1842

               

   (Also known as: First Calvary, Old Catholic, North Ave Burying Ground)

An  Irish Catholic cemetery bounded by North, Schiller, Wolcott (now State), and Lake Michigan (Then approx. Astor Street )

Chicago, Cook County, Illinois     North Township

Section:   3 Township 39  Range: 14

Originally 10 acres, later about 30 acres   Open: 1842  – circa 1900

.

In 1842, Father de Saint Palais purchased 10 acres of an area bounded by North Avenue (1600 north), Schiller Street (1400 north), Wolcott (now State  St), and Lake Michigan   (The Lake Michigan shoreline of 1842 was farther inland than it’s present location, back then approximately Astor Street)

Continue reading “Catholic Cemetery – Chicago 1842”

Southside Cemetery – Chicago 1835

 

South Township     Section:  27 Township 39  Range: 14

Open circa: 1835- 1847

 Let us remember a cemetery whose site later became a major Chicago brewery and now is the huge McCormick Place convention center and hotel complex.

About 1833, sixteen acres of land were purchased for a municipal town cemetery but reserved for Catholics. On August 15, 1835, the town surveyor was ordered to survey the property and completed the task on August 26. The Northside Cemetery was laid out at the same time, a subject of a separate blog post on this website.  Continue reading “Southside Cemetery – Chicago 1835”