Funeral streetcars were found in major cities including Chicago, San Francisco, Detroit, Los Angeles, and others. The Metropolitan Chicago transit system built two streetcars in 1910 built specifically for funeral service, each having drapes on the windows and a special compartment for the casket. Continue reading “Funeral Streetcars”
The funeral procession made a statement about status. As years went by, the method of transportation to the cemetery changed, but it usually reflected the status of the deceased. One method before the motorized hearse became common by both the rich and ordinary families, the funeral operating on rails.
(Also known as: First Calvary, Old Catholic, North Ave Burying Ground)
An Irish Catholic cemetery bounded by North, Schiller, Wolcott (now State), and Lake Michigan (Then approx. Astor Street )
Chicago, Cook County, Illinois North Township
Section: 3 Township 39 Range: 14
Originally 10 acres, later about 30 acres Open: 1842 – circa 1900
In 1842, Father de Saint Palais purchased 10 acres of an area bounded by North Avenue (1600 north), Schiller Street (1400 north), Wolcott (now State St), and Lake Michigan (The Lake Michigan shoreline of 1842 was farther inland than it’s present location, back then approximately Astor Street)
South Township Section: 27 Township 39 Range: 14
Open circa: 1835- 1847
Let us remember a cemetery whose site later became a major Chicago brewery and now is the huge McCormick Place convention center and hotel complex.
About 1833, sixteen acres of land were purchased for a municipal town cemetery but reserved for Catholics. On August 15, 1835, the town surveyor was ordered to survey the property and completed the task on August 26. The Northside Cemetery was laid out at the same time, a subject of a separate blog post on this website. Continue reading “Southside Cemetery – Chicago 1835”
Once located in the sand hills of the lake shore, between 16th and 18th,streets, centered about east of 1729 S Prairie or the Northeast corner of 18th street and Prairie Avenue. Chicago, Cook County, Illinois 60605
South Township Section: SW 1/4 22 Township 39 Range: 14
This is one of the first early white burial sites in Chicago whose bodies were later reburied at the Fort Dearborn Cemetery. Historical accounts state that on August 15, 1812, 39 men, 2 women, and 12 children led by Captain William Wells and John Kinzie started out south along the beach from Fort Dearborn for Fort Wayne when a surprise Indian attack took place. Their bones lay in the sand, half buried where they were killed, until 1816 when Fort Dearborn was reopened. They were then reburied at the Common Burial Ground at Fort Dearborn, also referred to as Fort Cemetery or Garrison Cemetery. Continue reading “1812 Massacre Site south of Fort Dearborn”